Sugar, in its many forms, is an increasingly common ingredient in processed foods. Many of us eat the equivalent of 53 heaping teaspoons of white sugar every day! Many experts now agree that reducing sugar intake is an essential ingredient for natural health.
Here are ten reasons to avoid refined (white) sugar:
- Sugar contributes to tooth decay because it decreases the effectiveness of a particular type of white blood cell that “eats” bacteria.
- Sugar causes the body to release more adrenalin, which may explain ADHD and hyperactivity in young children.
- Calcium loss in urine occurs when a person consumes a soft drink containing sugar.
- Ingesting sugar makes the pancreas work harder to produce insulin. Diabetes results when the overworked pancreas can no longer eliminate sugar from the blood stream.
- Bleached with chlorine, when white refined sugar is exposed to certain organic compounds it converts to dioxin, a lethal compound.
- Sugar can hinder weight loss because high insulin levels (see #4 above) cause the body to store excess carbohydrates as fat.
- Sugar increases the likelihood of chronic fatigue.
- Sugar increases mood swings, irritability and anxiety.
- Sugar compromises the immune system because it lowers the efficiency of white blood cells for a minimum of five hours.
- Eating sugar can decrease helpful high-density cholesterol (HDLs) and result in an increase in harmful cholesterol (LDLs).
Need to sweeten your food? Add raisins, dates or honey. Stevia is also a safer alternative. It’s available in several forms, has no calories and doesn’t raise blood sugar levels. Clearly, a better choice to satisfy any sweet tooth!