Checking Your Kids for Scoliosis
Scoliosis is an abnormal sideways curve in the spine that, if not caught early, can become worse with age, cause significant back pain, and lead to arthritis in the spine. It is very important to know the signs of scoliosis and check your kids at about age 8.
To check your kids for scoliosis, do the following:
1. Have your child bend over at the waist. Stand behind them and check the curve of the spine. This is called Adam’s test for scoliosis.
- The back should be a smooth curve.
- Also check the ribcage on both sides as they bend forward. If you notice the ribcage bulging more on one side than the other, it is very likely your child has scoliosis.
2. Next, look at your child’s back while they are standing and notice any of the following:
- Is one shoulder higher than the other? They should be level.
- Is one hip higher than the other? They should be level.
- Does the spine look straight or curved? Curving sideways is a problem.