When you hear “heavy metal,” you may think blaring rock music, but there’s a far more dangerous type of heavy metal that can be toxic to your body.
Are you feeling tired or foggy headed? Do you suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, multiple sclerosis, depression, anemia, Parkinson’s disease or dementia? Is your head foggy or are you suffering from Alzheimer’s disease?
These are just a few of the conditions that have been linked to heavy metal poisoning in your body. Heavy metal exposure is not as unusual as you may think and if you have a build up in your body, you need to get rid of it and try to limit any future exposure.
The biggest heavy metal culprits are:
- Lead – If you live in an older home, drink tap water in an older home or building, or are exposed to lead-based paint – you may be at risk for lead poisoning. To reduce your risk, drink only filtered water, wash your hands regularly and vacuum often.
- Aluminum – If you drink from aluminum cans, some of that aluminum is getting into your body – especially if whatever is in the can is fruity or acidic. Cooking in aluminum pans or aluminum foil can also transfer trace amounts into your body.
- Mercury – Vaccines today have reduced mercury levels, but if your kids got vaccinated more than four years ago – the vaccines they received were loaded with mercury! “Silver” tooth fillings also contain mercury, which over time, can leach into your body.
While the liver and kidneys help rid your body of excess metal, they aren’t 100% effective. Besides reducing your potential for exposure, a natural-health approach, including a high-fiber diet, loaded with fruits and vegetables, can help. In addition, herbal supplements, such as cilantro and milk thistle, green or black tea, and garlic are also helpful for avoiding heavy metal build up in your body.